How a CPG brand improved package design by analyzing 6K reviews within 3 weeks
Fast Moving Consumer Goods
Learn how a consumer packaged goods brand turned insights from nearly 6,000 ratings and reviews to improve package design, seeing high ROI within 3 weeks.
In this case study, we will uncover how a global leading brand in the consumer packaged goods industry improved the sales of its new line of laundry detergent by leveraging data analytics.
Extracting value from over 6,000 generated consumer reviews
Our client’s new line of detergents involved two main types – one bottle with a white design and less ‘provocative’ labeling and another in black with more ‘provacative’ labels. It was estimated that about 6,000 consumer reviews were available regarding the particular set of detergents.
The problem here wasn’t necessarily that our CPG client was observing low sales when it came to this particular laundry care line (and it was generally performing well at the time, to say the least). It was more so that the brand was highly curious to continuously understand its target markets to improve its every day goods for consumers.
And when it came to uncovering true consumer preferences, our client knew that the answer lay in ratings and reviews. The feedback could help address questions like: which of the two detergent models did shoppers prefer most and why? Which specific elements of the packaging design appealed best to buyers? Yet, our client’s analysts dealt with several particular challenges, mainly:
- Too little time and effort on their hands to analyze everything, especially since the researchers had other top priorities and were eager to access market insights to outperform other detergent brands quickly. The analysts also estimated that the required deep analysis of the 6,000 reviews would take them about 11 weeks to complete.
- Generally low knowledge on how to make sense of the increasing consumer feedback and to identify the right sources and extract only the most relevant data that could potentially inspire new key actions
The company faced several options, including outsourcing a market research agency or finding an advanced yet simple text mining tool.
Global CPG brand leverages Wonderflow: Cleaning data and uncovering true preferences
It’s no surprise that our consumer goods client decided to turn to Wonderflow’s AI-driven text mining solution, mainly because:
- Quick access to insights: Our AI analyzed the thousands of related reviews around our client’s new detergent series and reported results that were over 50% more accurate than their own analysts’ reports, plus within 2-3 weeks. Whereas research firms and older web scraping programs require several months to present practical insights.
- High-quality analysis: The brand didn’t need much legwork since our team took over the entire analysis process, from analyzing even their competitors to reporting market trends and offering suggestions and predictions based on product decisions (or the impact of changes to the detergent line). This is all thanks to Wonderflow’s advanced natural language processor.
- Simplicity: Our client also understood that other departments needed access to the same insights to be consistent in knowledge sharing. Our dashboard, “the Wonderboard,” processed and presented data all in a single platform, making it easier for relevant teams to access.
After gathering and analyzing nearly 6,000 related reviews, Wonderflow’s technology uncovered two popular mentions —one aspect related to the detergent’s color design and another topic related to the detergent’s labeling:
- Design aspect: Many consumers preferred the white detergent more than the black bottle in the series.
- Branding aspect: Many shoppers shared their appreciation of the packaging with the more ‘provocative’ labels (e.g., “Attack Blossom,” “Power of 10 hands”) than the less provocative descriptions.
Improved packaging design that consumers most preferred
With the help of Wonderflow’s consumer sentiment analytics, our client not only received a fast turnaround of insights but immediately reacted to it. They introduced a third and newly branded bottle into the detergent series. The ‘bonus addition’ came in white as most consumers preferred and contained the same kind of provocative descriptions on it. As a further result, the brand saw a slight yet impactful boost in the detergent line’s average star ratings. Plus, more shoppers expressed that they were pleased to see the new option in their online reviews.
Wonderflow respects the client’s wish to share limited information in this case study. To learn more about our technology, check out our solution pages tailored to the needs of CPG or Fast-Moving Consumer Goods brands.
Wonderflow empowers businesses with quick and impactful decision-making because it helps automate and deliver in-depth consumer and competitor insights. All within one place, results are simplified for professionals across any high-UGC organization, and department to access, understand, and share easily. Compared to hiring more analysts, Wonderflow’s AI eliminates the need for human-led setup and analysis, resulting in thousands of structured and unstructured reviews analyzed within a matter of weeks and with up to 50% or more accurate data. The system sources relevant private and public consumer feedback from over 200 channels, including emails, forums, call center logs, chat rooms, social media, and e-commerce. What’s most unique is that its AI is the first ever to help recommend personalized business actions and predict the impact of those actions on key outcomes. Wonderflow is leveraged by high-grade customers like Philips, DHL, Beko, Lavazza, Colgate-Palmolive, GSK, Delonghi, and more.